According to the National Floor Safety Institute, falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%). Slips and falls account for over 1 million visits, or 12% of total falls.
Ways to prevents slips and falls in the workplace or at home include:
- Examine area to ensure the floor is clear and clean.
- Pathways at stairs should be free of all obstructions.
- Use carts to keep the floor clear.
- Face equipment, use every step, and maintain three points of contact.
- Keep your eyes ahead of your work, scan work area, and use designated walk paths.